Western Cooperative Electric Association, Inc. was formed in May of 1945 to bring electricity to friends and neighbors in eight counties in Northwest Kansas: Ellis, Gove, Graham, Ness, Rooks, Rush, Trego, and Sheridan. With the Aquila purchase in April 2007 we have added the five counties of Osborne, Russell, Barton, Lincoln, and Ellsworth. Today Western serves 12,278 meters, maintains 3,973 miles of line, and employs 56 full-time employees. With headquarters located in WaKeeney, Kansas, and outposts in Olmitz, Plainville, and Ellsworth, Western Cooperative Electric provides agricultural, commercial and industrial consumers with reliable electrical power and excellent service.
In the year ending December 31, 2015, Western had operating revenue of $37.2 million earned on the sale of 353 million kilowatt hours of electricity. Western has returned cash refunds of capital credits to its consumer owners for a lifetime cash refund of $15.4 million. With a total investment in utility plant of just over $82.9 million, Western continues to invest in system upgrades to ensure that its distribution system remains reliable.